At the special session «Those who must not be named: advertising of pharmaceutical products, prohibitions and opportunities» of the National Advertising Forum-2017, the principles of inter-industry self-regulation in the field of medicine advertising were discussed.
Experts of the Association of the Russian Pharmaceutical Manufacturers, the Association of International Pharmaceutical Manufacturers and Other Professional Associations, the Association of Communication Agencies of Russia, the representatives of the FAS, the State Duma, as well as experts in a field of pharmaceutical industry advertising discussed the issue of advertising medicines, and the direction of effective interaction of regulators, the pharmaceutical and advertising industry with the purpose of providing the consumer with qualitative advertising content.
In 2017, FAS Russia instituted more than 25 cases on advertising medicines, which used the word «fast» or derivatives from it, because of violation of Paragraph 8 of Part 1 of the Federal Law № 38-FL of 13.03.2006 «About Advertising.» The AIPM Executive Director Vladimir Shipkov has emphasized that the pharmaceutical and advertising industries are ready to take part of responsibility and together with the regulators ensure the proper enforcement of advertising legislation in the future.
The General Director of the ARPM, Viktor Dmitriev noted that with the beginning of the the ECE work we will face the problem that existed both in the European Union and in the CIS countries. In a single information field in one country the medicine can be registered as a prescription one, in another, as an over-the-counter, and in the third it is not registered at all. He also said that the problems start from the moment when decisions are taken on the listing the medicine or not in the OTC list. «We still have these criteria very blurred. It is not clear why one or another medicines are excluded from the list every year», — the speaker said.
All parties are harmonious in idea that responsible self-regulation is a fundamental factor of minimization of violations in this field, and also reduces the risk of undesirable restraining or restrictive initiatives from the regulators.
Summarizing the results of the discussion, the following decisions have been made:
- To create an intersectoral working group. The working group will include the representatives of the pharmaceutical and advertising industry, FAS of Russia, as well as some legal companies with the purpose of professional discussion and finalization of the prepared data of the analytical report containing a review of the practice of FAS Russia and courts on advertising OTC medicines for the period between 2015 and 2017; the deadline is on November 15, 2017.
- To discuss in the framework of a working dialogue with the FAS Russia and prepare a formal explanation and recommendations on the basis of a collective analytical report; until November 30, 2017.
- To develop and agree a memorandum project on the relationship between the FAS Russia, the pharmaceutical industry and the advertising industry; until November 30, 2017.
- To sign a memorandum of understanding; the deadline is on December 29, 2017.
- To perform the regular educational activities on a constant basis in order to clarify the principles of self-regulation in the pharmaceutical industry among the pharmaceutical companies and advertising agencies.